ok, so we could use a little more diversity amongst the awkward rebellious teenaged disney royalty but another princess?
can't disney animate a few dozen more everyday humdrum girls of color? it sounds like that's what we really need.
and for the record - no, mulan is NOT really a princess - show me where in EITHER mulan film, she magically becomes a princess. she rescues three princesses in that last film. but, c'mon, let's call her what she is, ok? "hun *ss kicker" is NOT a bad title.
however, having a daughter who is princess obsessed i am curious about the new african american disney princess - maddy.
after reading some articles, some things i found interesting:
1) my guess is the film is loosely based on the frog prince fairy tale... probably one of my least favorite fairy tales because the princess is such a spoiled brat and after all her eye rolling and whimpering and complaining she STILL gets the prince. maybe this time around, the dis-enchanted frog, gets a clue and up and walks AWAY from the royal...
2) the film is called "the frog princess" so, does that mean she's the one getting turned into a frog and then kissed? is the debutante (see cast list bbelow) taking over the role of the princess and maddy the chambermaid walking away with the prince? and what's up with all these princesses needing saving anyway....
3) people are assuming her prince is caucasian (see cast list below) let's hope disney thinks outside the box in more ways than one in this instance too... 'cause disney, not all of our good men have to be caucasian, kiss-bestowing, shoe-toting, horse-riding, enchanted princes in shining armor. blah, blah, blah, thank you for
4) i always thought that princess kida from atlantis would be crowned the first aa princess. it seemed like that was what the animators were implying. i believe kida was also voiced by mixed actress, cree summer. i dunno, the atlanteans looked poc to me. and i mean if they can make a mermaid from a danish fairy tale a princess. can't they do the same for an atlantean princess. she wasn't a ball gown wearing princess either. she kicked *ss too.
though i have to admit i wasn't sure how she changed/ lightened her skin color from "atlantis: the lost empire"
to "atlantis: milo's return"
5) lastly, a list of characters... how are they going to steer away from stereotypes in this one?
Maddy - A 19-year-old chambermaid.
Charlotte La Bouff - A 18-year-old spoiled, southern Debutante and Diva.
Dr. Duvalier - An African American Voodoo magician/fortune teller. The villain of the movie.
Mama Odie - An elderly, 200-year-old Voodoo priestess/fairy god-mother.
Ray - A lovesick Cajun firefly.
Louis - A Jazz singer alligator.
Prince Harry - A gregarious, fun-loving European Prince, in his early twenties.
Lawrence - Prince Harry's pompous valet.
Big Daddy La Bouff - Wealthy, Southern plantation landowner and father of Charlotte La Bouff.
Eudora - Maddy's mother. In her fifties. Used to be Charlotte's nurse maid.
George - The La Bouff family's cook.
Little Arila - Maddy's little sister. She's little, but very smart.