Monday, October 01, 2007

fascinating rhythm



we were listening to ella fitzgerald in the car yesterday and fascinating rhythm came on and the lyrics resonated with me more than ever before....

last thursday, i got the chance to see the beastie boys (again) @ northerly island with some of my (formerly san francisco) b-girls. there aren't enough superlatives to describe the show or the performances or the boys themselves (yo quiero MCA!). suffice to say, i was rendered deaf and mute by 11 p.m. and BIG LOVE to the city of chicago itself for looking absolutely stunning and providing such a breathtaking background for the band. it made getting trampled on by the *ssholes in the mosh pit OK! (no, not really.) check out some pics here and some videos here. i also heard music from a band i'd never heard of - the jazz crusaders:



and just when i thought i could recover... some other dear friends from sf, lavay smith and her red hot skillet lickers,



came to town to play a couple of nights at the green mill. it was crowded when i walked in friday night, but i made sure to wear something sparkly so that lavay or chris would see me. and it worked - she saw me, waved, complained that i was wearing something too sparkly and dedicated "everybody's talking about miss thing" to lil ol' me... *blush*




drinking, drunkdialing and dancing ensued....

thankfully, the thin man was nice enough to let me sleep most of it off on saturday. and then, my mom rescued both of us on sunday.

today is monday, i think, and thirtysomething parenting normalcy (and my hearing and voice) has returned for the most part - the palomas tantrums, the porkchop's screaming in lieu of language, the mama melodrama, the snackage, the constantly going up and down the stairs and the continuous loop of pixars' cars movie, etc, etc, etc....

5 comments:

Rachel said...

You are so cool. I remember Lavay Smith from the 90's swing craze in SF. I'm jealous! It's been ages since I saw live music of any kind.

honglien123 said...

Sounds like you had a great night! So jealous. I just have the continuous loops of Pixar.

Unknown said...

rachel - between you passing by my polk/geary apt and now lavay... our paths HAD to have crossed in SF in the 90s!

lien - nights to remember definitely! and as i type... cars is STILL on. i swear when the porkchop starts speaking - he's going to sound like 'mater. :{

MONKEYfightingSTYLE said...

i haven't seen beastie boys in concert for like 8 years...sooo jealous!!!

Angela said...

That's great you had such an awesome night, it's been ages since I've heard live music, very jealous!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails