Wednesday, December 01, 2004
so, ya like quizzes, do ya?
i notice that when i'm surfing thru blogs (via BE or that handy "next blog" button on blogger) that when bloggers get blocked they turn to quizzes for some help. so, here i am - blocked - turning to a quiz for some left brain lube...
and according to this quiz "i am a modern day idiot".
below are some sample questions from an 1885 admissions examination to jersey city high school: (i stole the quiz from "how i accidentally joined the vast right wing conspiracy (and found inner peace)" by harry stein.)
algebra (on second thought. let's skip this part - i can't type this stuff out.... if you REALLY want the questions. feel free to email me.)
1. name four principal ranges of mountains in asia, three in europe and three in africa.
2. name the states on the west bank of the mississippi, and the capital of each.
3. what event do you connect with with 1565, 1607, 1620, 1664, 1775?
4. what caused the mexican war? what was the result? what american general commanded at the capture of the city of mexico?
5. write a sentence containing a noun used as an attribute, a verb in the perfect tense potential mood, and a proper adjective.
6. write the declension of (a) bird, (b) man, (c) fly, (d) fox, (e) it.
7. make three sentences, using the plural of sheep (a) in the nominative case, (b) in the possessive, (c) in the objective.
1. himalayas, urals, hindu kush and khangal; alps, carpathians and pyrenees; atlas, drakenberg and ethiopian highlands
2. louisiana (baton rouge); arkansas (little rock); missouri (jefferson city);iowa (des moines); and minnesota (st. paul)
3. 1565 - pedro menendez de aviles founded st. augustine, fl. 1607 - jamestown settled., 1620-103 pilgrims landed at plymouth rock. 1664-british seized new netherland from the dutch. 1775-battles of lexington and concord.
4. manifest destiny, diplomatic blundering and instability of american government;california, new mexico and arizona became part of us and texas border was established at rio grande; zachary taylor.
5. my expertise tells me that i am going to fail this english test, since i'm guessing a lot.
6. (a) bird, birds (b) man, men (c) fly, flies (d) it, its
7. (a) the sheep are in the meadow. (b) the sheep's wool was carded (c) we sheared all the sheep.